ARCADIA THE QUADRANGLERegular price $22.00 Save $-22.00
Designed by Q.M. Gen. Montgomery Meigs and built in 1876 as a quartermaster supply depot, the Quadrangle evolved into a major regional headquarters. The Quadrangle has become synonymous with Fort Sam Houston. It has been immortalized in the art of Porfirio Salinas and the jewelry of James Avery. In Texas, the Quadrangle at Fort Sam Houston stands second only to the Alamo in historical significance. Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1974 for its military contribution to the defense of the United States through the Indian Wars, the war with Spain, and both world wars as well as Korea, Vietnam, and the global war on terrorism, the Quadrangle continues its role as an active participant in national defense as the headquarters responsible for the land defense of North America. For almost 150 years, military activities have been conducted in the Quadrangle, and many of America's greatest soldiers and airmen have served within its walls—Ranald Mackenzie, Tasker Bliss, Frederick Funston, John J. Pershing, Billy Mitchell, Walter Krueger, and Jonathan M. Wainwright.
John M. Manguso graduated from the University of Florida with a master of arts degree in US history. He retired from the Army after 28 years of active and reserve service, including a tour of duty in Vietnam. He retired in 2011 after 33 years as director of the Fort Sam Houston Museum. This is his fourth book about the armed forces in the San Antonio area.
|SERIES:||Images of America|
|DIMENSIONS:||6.5 (w) x 9.25 (h)|